Indus Rangers was raised as Sindh Police Rifles (SPR) on 18 July 1942 at Hyderabad and redesigned as Sindh Police Rangers in 1948. Later, in 1958, with the amalgamation of Khairpur Police it was reorganized and named as Indus Rangers with Headquarters at Hyderabad. On 29 April 1993, Indus Rangers was again bifurcated into two units; one was named as Thar Rangers which remained at Hyderabad while the other retained its old name as Indus Rangers and moved to Khairpur Mir’s. Subsequently it was shifted to Nawabshah in 1994. Initially it had four wings, one each at Naushero Feroze, Sorah, Khipro and Hathungo but in January 1994, the Wing at Naushero Feroze was shifted to Karachi under command Sachal Rangers for Internal Security duties. Presently, Headquarters Indus Rangers is located at Nawabshah (now Shaheed Benazirabad) and performing border duties with three wings at Sorah, Hathango and Ghazi Khan Khipro.
Role / Tasks
- Protection of International border.
- Assist Police / civil administration in maintenance of law and order as and when called for.