Thar Rangers

Introduction

Thar Rangers takes its linkages from Sindh Police Rifles raised on 18 July 1942 at Hyderabad. The force underwent an evolution and converted into Sindh Police Rangers in 1948 and reorganized as Indus Rangers after its amalgamation with Khairpur Police in 1958. Later, on 29 April 1993, Indus Rangers was again bifurcated into two units, one retained its old name and was moved to Khairpur Mir’s and the other was configured as Thar Rangers which remained at Hyderabad. During 1965 War, valiant soldiers of Thar Rangers were awarded two Sitara-e-Jurrat, one Tamgha-e-Jurrat and twenty eight Tamgha-e-Shujat in recognition of their bravery. In addition, sixteen Police Medals and fifteen Commendation Certificates have also been awarded to Thar Rangers for exemplary performance in various Internal Security operations. Presently, Headquarters Thar Rangers is located at Hyderabad and is performing Border duties with three wings guarding 444 Kilometers of International Border in Thar Desert / Runn of Kuch. Prominent areas in its area of responsibility are Badin, Thatta, Diplo, Mithi and Nagarparkar.

Role / Tasks

  • Protection of International Border.
  • Assist Police/ civil administration in maintenance of law and order as and when called for.